Cockroaches: Turn on the light
Watch them run
Cockroaches are sneaky…they try to hide using other names. Palmetto Bugs or Water-bugs or American cockroaches or German cockroaches or whatever Cockroaches. The differences between water-bugs and roaches and the others are just different brands of roaches. For our purposes of eliminating cockroaches, that is what this page is about, so cockroaches are what we will discuss.
Because they all live and die the same way…we use that fact to solve the problem and get rid of them.
Cockroaches are active a night,searching for food and water and beer. Yes roaches love their beer. Put some beer out for them and watch.
Just tip toe into your kitchen or go near your uncovered garbage container…suddenly turn on the light…and you will see many roaches running for cover…if you have these living in your home.
To see them at night is bad, but if you see them during the day…you are in deep trouble…because that means you have hundreds of them hiding that you can’t see, PLUS the roaches that you do see and hear. The flying cockroaches and the hissing cockroaches.
Bottom line. You have a serious problem.
Sorry to tell you, but you have so many hungry roaches needing food and water (and a few looking for beer), that some of the roaches are staying awake to search for the food and water… and they must find it during the daylight hours.
Did you know that small children are very sensitive to cockroaches and a lot of people get asthma from roaches? Asthma. Right. So roaches have to go…to give those folks with asthma one less thing to be allergic to.
WHAT DO YOU DO TO PREVENT COCKROACHES: The facts. Cockroaches enter your house, look around, and then stay because the food and water was easy to find. That means families and cockroach eggs. Just like silverfish who find your books and eat and eat them.
If you eliminate that food and water, they will leave or starve or dehydrate trying to find it.
This means that good sanitation prevails in the kitchen and food preparation areas. It also means…clean up all food spills no matter how small…including the teenagers bedroom.
And you need to fix all those pesky leaky water faucets. Don’t leave pet bowls on the floor. No dirty dishes left overnight in the sink. Caulk and seal cracks and crevices everywhere you can find them.
These are your TRAPPING or ELIMINATION CHOICES to clean them out quickly:
- Dusting Powders: Apply insecticide in basements and under roofs to eliminate cockroaches. Other powders that are effective are silica or diatomaceous earth (garden strength). These are available to you quickly from many local stores.
- Residual sprays: These insecticide sprays leave a toxic film that is effective for a long time. These too are quickly available from some local stores.
- Nonresidual sprays: These kill on contact. There are many brands quickly available in local stores. Follow the instructions for the best and fastest results. You do want the cockroaches gone quickly!
- Flushing spray: These sprays irritate the cockroaches and bring them out of their crevices into the open so you can take action. They are also available from local pest control dealers.
- Parasitic Wasps: Used in non-residential buildings and gardens and farms with great success to kill cockroaches, these little wasps are likely available to you locally in a farm and garden store.
- Live Trapping with Glue Traps: You can buy sticky traps that use a pheromone odor (a roach sex scent) to attract roaches to the trap. Sticky stuff on the trap holds the cockroaches firm so they can not leave the trap. When you have enough roaches on the trap, put the trap and roaches in a plastic bag and put it in the trash. Easy. Easy. In fact, these traps are what the professionals use in restaurant kitchens.
- FREE: Make Your Own Trap: You can make your own cockroach trap with a glass jar. Put 2 inches of Vaseline on the inside rim so they can’t climb out. Bait the cockroaches with fresh apple or potato slices in the bottom. Dump the lucky ones out of the jar and into hot soapy water to kill them. Will it catch as many as a retail trap, probably not.
- Baiting with Commercial Products: Locally, you can buy commercial toxic chemical gel baits that contain growth inhibitors that take some time to act. They are eaten, then excreted, and that excretion with a minute amount of the poison is eaten by another cockroach and so on…and the colony is killed. Or, you can buy commercial non toxic organic pest control products for your pest control problem.
- FREE…Baiting with Home Made Baits: You can make your own baits by combining peanut butter and boric acid. Boric acid is very effective but it is very slow acting.
- Professional Services: If you are unable or unwilling to resolve your pest problem yourself, contact a pest control professional. That professional will eliminate the cockroaches for you.